Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Narcolepsy in Dogs

I came across this recent post about Narcolepsy (suddenly falling asleep uncontrollably) in Dogs over at Big Dog Blog. Something that mystified me was the vet seemed clueless about what to do. OK its a TV report so we're probably only getting half-truths, but the fact is the symptoms of narcolepsy can be treated. According to the Mayo Clinic, this is done using stimulants. For example, Ritalin, normally given to treat attention deficit disorder, can be used to control narcolepsy symptoms. Message to the vet treating this dog: Try that and maybe the dog can lead some kind of normal existence. I own 3 horses and where I board my horses there is a horse with narcolepsy (hey-better get out of the way when he falls asleep!). He gets medicine and lives a pretty normal life. Not sure if I would want to ride him, but he's able to enjoy the day and eat his meals etc.

Here is another video about narcolepsy in dogs.

No comments: